Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Conversation

Ask me a question.

Go on -- ask. Don't be shy; I'm certainly not.

I'll start you off: I'm Thomas. I introduced myself to you a few months ago.

I spent time detailing myself, who I am, physically. What and whom I love. I told you I'm a Buckeye, and that I talk. A Lot. A lot is an understatement, really. I am always communicating, talking, and listening, and interacting with the world. Holding doors and exchanging smiles; it's who I am. You know these things about me -- that I'm a WOO -- but you don't know why. You don't know what makes me talk, or sing, or shout out loud. You don't know my story.

You want to hear it?

Why didn't you say so?!

It starts in New South Wales -- where the first Thomas David Phillips is about to journey across the Atlantic and settle in the new territories... Just kidding; I won't start that far back.

I suppose I'll begin in middle school, where I was the fat kid, the fat kid who could sing and play music and create art -- but who missed out on the playground, who was picked last, and teased.

Or maybe I'll start you off in High School, where I became a successful state champion water polo player, lost weight, and joined the theater -- only to be called gay.  I went to an all boys high school,  and my higher-pitched voice in combination with my ability to distinguish the color salmon from coral automatically made me a target of cruel rumors and ridicule.

Though, I suppose none of that matters -- certainly it influenced who I am today -- but really, it is not other people's hatred nor their ignorance that shaped me. It was my response. Learning to stand up for myself, and finding the tried and true friends, are what make me the man I am.

By myself, in isolation, I am nothing. I am nothing without the friends and family who have formed and molded me to this point. I am nothing without the poor experiences that have taught me to get back up.

Ohio State has given me the best, and certainly most unique combination of experiences in my life. And there are still curveballs coming. I will be the first to admit that I have not always made good decisions; some of my actions have hurt others, and put my relationships in jeopardy.

I'm not proud of everything I've done. In fact, sometimes I look back and wonder what I was thinking, if I was thinking at all.

But I learn. And I continue to talk, and live, and grow.

I apologize if I was long-winded -- but by now, friend, I expect that you know that about me.

Thanks for the conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment