Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Personal Development and Mission Statement

With all things considered -- my personality and learning preferences were shaped less by what I am (a straight, white-but-half-Cuban, male) than by who I am, and who raised me. Yes, I'm white. I identify as half-Cuban because I am. If you try to tell me that I'm not, just because I have pale white skin, I'll most likely respond by cursing at you with particularly Cuban expletives. Yes, I'm a straight male, but I fail to see how what I am (physically) becomes the main derivation of my personality.

I believe that my personality and learning preferences came from how I was raised. I was taught always to value education. My grandfather told my mother upon leaving Cuba, that people (in this case, the Cuban government) could take everything away from you -- your home, your family, your possessions, even your claim to citizenship, but there were two things that they could never take: your faith, and your education.

I grew up hearing that story multiple times, and learning the importance of that lesson when I got to high school. My family is not well-to-do. They told me that they were putting me through a private Catholic school (my mom was employed by the Diocese so she received a large discount that allowed us to afford it) so that I could get a scholarship to college -- because they would not be able to help me finance a college education. I hated them for it. I hated that they hadn't started saving for me for college, and that if I didn't succeed in getting a full-ride, I would be at community college, paying for it on my own.

They told my sister the same thing, and I hated them for it -- until she got a full ride to the University of Alabama. I realized that the goal was achievable. Both of my parents went to college on full academic scholarships, and they expected no less from my sister or me. It was at that point that I put my nose to the grindstone, became involved in extracurricular activities and service, and attempted to distinguish myself as a student.

Fortunately for me, Ohio State offered me the scholarship of my dreams. I made my proud, and I'm still trying to do so at Ohio State today. While I recognize that what I am can influence how other people might look at me and my personality -- I wasn't raised to define who I am by those standards.


Mission Statement:

To use my skills, talents, and strengths for the advancement of what is true and honorable. To love someone fully, and bring new life into the world, that I might share with them the happiness I've known. To lead and inspire members of my community (at all times in life) to be actors for positive change. To live by a simple rule: Be Nice to one another. Be Kind to one another. Love one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment